Friday, April 10, 2015

The Power of Forgiveness (Articles from Mayo Clinic)

"What is forgiveness?

Generally, forgiveness is a decision to let go of resentment and thoughts of revenge. The act that hurt or offended you might always remain a part of your life, but forgiveness can lessen its grip on you and help you focus on other, more positive parts of your life. Forgiveness can even lead to feelings of understanding, empathy and compassion for the one who hurt you.
Forgiveness doesn't mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. You can forgive the person without excusing the act. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that helps you go on with life."
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/forgiveness/art-20047692

Forgiveness is such an essential part of all of our lives to help us better who we are and our outcome to what or who may have just caused us harm, but forgiveness isn't easy. I don't mean that holding grudges is easy, what I mean is, the pain you have inside from the incident that doesn't seem to go away. I have pain inside of me that I didn't know was still affecting me until I started to desire to post about forgiveness, and I literally had to pray and ask God for forgiveness and forgive those who had previously hurt me. Unforgiveness can show up in new relationships causing you to be the victim all over again, and sometimes it isn't by intent, but a festered wound that just tends to overshadow what you really desire to do and that is love. I know that I don't intend on holding on to unforgiveness. My desire is to always forgive, so the other person will not feel guilty, but I really don't think I have properly healed. I know some people say some people take longer than others, and I may be one, but I definitely do not desire to hold on to unforgiveness. I guess it is only right to make it publically known that I forgive all those who harmed me, whomever may have hurt me in my life, whoever tried to send harm my way, and I forgive myself in the process. Forgiveness isn't easy, but it is possible, and it has benefits. I will keep exploring those benefits.

"What are the benefits of forgiving someone?

Letting go of grudges and bitterness can make way for happiness, health and peace. Forgiveness can lead to:
  • Healthier relationships
  • Greater spiritual and psychological well-being
  • Less anxiety, stress and hostility
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Fewer symptoms of depression
  • Stronger immune system
  • Improved heart health
  • Higher self-esteem"
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/forgiveness/art-20047692

Mayo clinic has done a wonderful job with their article and helping us understand some benefits to forgiving and what forgiveness can do for us, but I think I desire to go deeper into healing. There has to be a beneficial healing process out there. Some of the things I had London do in The Bride was to volunteer and see what other people have to go through, but not only that but to give back. I also had her spend time overseas to interact with those she probably wouldn't be able to interact with on a daily basis, but another gift that I gave to London was the opportunity to have her father back. I gave her that chance because God gave me that chance. She learned about her father as a youth, and saw him as a human being and not just her dad. She learned how to have a new relationship with him. She learned how to have a new relationship with herself. London was able to enter back into the places where she first was hurt and lay her burdens down. We aren't all able to do that, but I think writing letters to those who have hurt us rather here or not here, can help to release the pain and put all the feelings down on paper, and then burn it or toss it away from your house, bless it, and release it into the atmosphere, and say Father, God it is yours to handle now. I release my pain unto you, and I ask for peace back. I believe today will be a day of healing so let me find some articles that focus on healing and letting go. I know Bishop T.D Jakes has a topic called Let it Go, so I will see if I can find bits of that. Hope, you have a great morning. I will be back.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment